In addition to monitoring legislation at the federal level, WQA stays on top of legislation being considered in various states across the country. The Regional & State Government Affairs Committee:
• Deciphers confusing state legislation and provides guidance for the membership. For example, Government Affairs efforts passed legislation to create a specialty license in Colorado. Additionally, the Regulatory Info Search Database houses current legislation and regulations.
• Provides recommendations on the association’s advocacy agenda. Specific recommendations have included WQA participate on regional & state coalitions, partner with other organizations, and target specific states and state agencies.
• Keeps membership informed on proposed state legislation and regulations. Provides monthly updates and year-end reviews of the governmental landscape.
- Manage the efforts of WQA with respect to any legislative or regulatory matters that impact the industry
- Coordinate with the Water Science Committee with respect to the development of standards and with respect to the development of WQA positions on issues that required scientific input
- Provide semi-annual reports to the Board of Governors
We’re Looking For
* WQA member individuals representing all categories (e.g. manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, allied) and sectors (residential, commercial, industrial)
* Passion for governmental advocacy with a willingness to participate in legislative outreach events
* Experience addressing local and state regulatory issues and reviewing draft legislation or rules, but not required
* General knowledge of technical issues affecting our industry
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Relationship building – meeting with government officials and joining coalitions
* In Person: WQA Convention & Exposition, WQA Mid-Year Leadership Conference
* Virtual: As needed
Staff Liaison: Global Government Affairs Director Jeremy Pollack
Visit wqa.org/volunteer for information on signing up to serve on a WQA committee or advisory council.